Pediatric Physical Therapy: Beyond the Read – Effectiveness of Different Physiotherapy Protocols in Children in the Intensive Care Unit: Randomized Clinical Trial
- Non-member - $40
- PT Member - $25
- PTA Member - $25
- Student - $25
- Life Member - $25
- Partner Member - $25
- Member - $25
This study aimed to investigate the effectiveness of different physical therapy protocols on the autonomic modulation of heart rate, time of invasive mechanical ventilation (IMV), and length of hospital stay. Methods: This was a randomized clinical study with 20 children on IMV in an intensive care unit (ICU), between July 2018 and September 2019. The control group (n = 10) performed the hospital's physical therapy protocol and the experimental group (n = 10) performed the physical therapy protocol based on physical exercise. Results: Higher values of heart rate variability were found in the experimental group, both in individual and intergroup analyses. There was a significant reduction in the time of IMV and ICU stay.
Course Authors: Dawn Kelly James, PT, DPT, DSc; Mercedes Aguirre Valenzuela, PT, DPT; Martha Henao Bloyer, PT, DPT; Monica Krogmann, PT, MA, DPT; Cornelia Lieb-Lundell, PT, MA, DPT
Course Code: BTR-Jan 2022
Completion Instructions: Read the article, complete the assessment with at least a 70% score, download and save certificate
Course Level: Intermediate
Delivery Method: Online
- Understand the difference between child vs adult response to invasive mechanical ventilation with or without exercise.
- Identify two specific complications associated with invasive mechanical ventilation.
- Appreciate the relationship between heart rate variability, time on invasive mechanical ventilation, and length of stay in the intensive care unit.
- Assess the difference between standard cardiopulmonary measures in children and adults.
- Explain the exercise parameters used in the experimental group that resulted in the outcomes found in the study.
E-Learning Course 0.1 CEUs (1 Contact Hours/CCUs)
Cancellation Policy: If you must cancel your registration, you may do so prior to taking any part of the course by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org (minus a $15 processing fee).
|Access Date||Quiz Result||Score||Actions|